Save this date! Saturday 8th of August is the day we will be holding our Auckland Tahr Protest, #SAVEOURTAHR. This is intended to be a peacfeful protest designed to bring awareness to the general public and also send a message to the government.
The Himalayan Tahr population in the Southern Alps has been here over a century and has thrived ever since, maintaining one the only healthy populations in the world to this date. This majestic animal contributes a huge amount to the NZ economy and wider hunting community, and is recognized as a prized herd on a global scale.
The Tahr herd now faces their biggest threat to date, with mass culling plans being enacted to drastically reduce their population numbers and eliminate them from our mountain ranges. Without proper consultation with relevant stakeholders, a culling plan has now been enacted with many animals having fallen to this already.
Time to make ourselves heard, the sooner the better!
This is about democracy, consultation, due process and our rights as hunters and conservationists to have a seat at the table in the interest of sound animal management and population control which affects us all. If we fail to make a stand, other herd's of special interest within New Zealand will surely be next such as our North Island Sika and Red Deer populations and we simply cannot have that happen!
Plan your banners, flags and signs or just turn up to add to the numbers and show support so our collective voice can be heard loud and clear.
The general plan is as follows:
- Meet at Westgate, 2pm (carpark corner of Kedgley road and Maki street) where we will provide a brief for the day
- Travel along north western motorway over the harbour bridge to exit 421 on northern motorway (first after the harbour bridge) 30 – 40 min
- Turn around back over the bridge to exit 424A. 15 min
- Follow Fanshawe street to the bottom of queen. 10 min
- Turn up queen street to K road. 10 min
- Cross Grafton bridge to park road turning into the Auckland domain on domain drive north 15 min
- Park and assemble in front of the Auckland museum where we plan to have Guest Speakers, including Snow Hewetson, Chairman of the NZ Tahr Foundation
Make a stand ! We need as many vehicles as possible to make a visual statement and to ensure we are heard loud and clear, so please share this far and wide!
Save these magnificent animals !!!
- PLEASE - the goal of this is a peaceful event and we request this is adhered to at all times!
Get involved and SHARE this far and wide for the greatest impact and show of numbers!